Thursday, August 19, 2010

Best Easy Pasta Sauce Ever!

So I've tried out a lot of pasta sauces in my cooking days. I don't like using the jarred stuff if I can help it, but I hadn't hit on just the right simple quick to make sauce for everyday cooking...until now. My husband sucks this stuff down like none other all the while telling me how much he loves it. That makes me love it too.

(Photo from Real Simple)

Spaghetti with Quick Meat Sauce is so adaptable and simple. I don't remember their exact specifications, but it doesn't matter. What does matter is including these few basic ingredients.


1 onion diced
1 can (28oz.) crushed tomatoes (non-salted or low salt if you can find it)
3 cloves of garlic (minced or crushed)
olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1lb. pasta (any kind)

So simple right? Trust me, it's good.

Normally we add meat to the sauce too. Maybe some chicken or turkey Italian sausage. This week we went vegetarian. The recipe tells you to include two carrots which I always do even if I make a meat sauce. Carrots are good for you, pretty, and taste good, 'nough said. I had 3 carrots sitting in the fridge, so I used all 3. I also added a couple zucchini, a package of pre-cut mushrooms, and a small package of baby spinach. The end result was awesome!

Okay, now the steps to making it.
1) Set the water to boil for the pasta. Make the pasta according to the package directions. (I used spinach penne this week. I recommend it)
2) Pour a bit of oil in a separate pan and let is heat up a bit.
3) Add the meat and cook it until browned.
4) Add the onion, carrots, and any other veggies that take a tick longer to cook. Let um go for 5 minutes over medium heat.
5) Add the garlic and any other veggies and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
6) Add the tomatoes, salt ,and pepper.
7) Bring to a boil and then simmer about 10-15 minutes or until all the veggies and meat are cooked.
8) Pour sauce over cooked and drained pasta. Top off with a little Parmesan.

Okay, now I'm hungry. Anyone want to send over a 2nd lunch for me?

The official recipe can be found in Real Simple Best Recipes: Easy, Delicious Meals. I bought this book when John and I first moved in together this past April. We've made several things so far and loved everyone of them. Note: Easy, Delicious meals does not equal cheap or healthy meals. So you have to pick and choose what works for you. That said, the recipes are truly easy and delicious. One of the best features of the book is that it includes nutrition information for all the recipes. That part is really awesome and makes finding the healthier options easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment